Editor: Ricardo Mejia / J.R.MejiaSarmiento@tudelft.nl
Availability: Feel free to email me, an extra workshop is going to be arranged. Our challenge below this lines.
Track 9 – Concept products as a way of envisioning the future
Many organizations think about their future in different ways. Some of them use techniques that are more speculative, often based on the experience of the business owner; more scientific, analyzing big amount of data to make an accurate prediction about their future, or more imaginative creating their own future scenarios. Designers, as well trained ‘envisioners’ (visual thinkers), are able to roadmap the future of companies through (future) Concept Products like: ‘concept cars’, ‘haute couture’ (high fashion), or ‘concept houses’ among others.
Concept Products are technology push artefacts made to introduce and showcase a novel concept to the market which allows organizations to demonstrate how these elements are changing over the time.
Can Concept Products support companies to envision their future? If they can, how is this process?
There is a large body of literature on quantitative and qualitative futures studies as a domain. However, the analysis of Concept Products as part of the qualitative futures research for innovation is missed.
Participants in this track are welcome to study how Concept Products are tools to roadmap the future, in one of this dimensions:
A Concept Product as an artefact. You can either, 1) pick one concept product (concept car, haute couture, concept house or other example of Concept Product) and analyze it; 2) compare two or three different type of concept products to identify its main similarities and differences.
A Concept Product as part of the futures research process. You can pick one company and see how it use Concept Products and analyze its impact in the portfolio of products.
Suggested concept cars:
- Short list of the most important concept cars here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_car
- 30 greatest concept cars http://www.stuff.tv/25-best-concept-cars-ever/news/corvette-stingray-concept
Special attention to:
- BMW GINA – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_GINA
- MIT CityCar – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityCar
- Mini Vision (concept car and production car too) – http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Mini-Superleggera-Vision-2014-why-BMW-is-likely-to-build-its-retro-rocket/
- Mercedes-Benz F700 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_F700
Events and Motor Shows:
- Frankfurt Motor Show – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Motor_Show
Other Concept Products:
- Office Vision 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5X2PxtvMsU
- Office Vision 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cNdhOKwi0
My broader research interest area here MY PHD PROJECT – #FutureThroughDesign
Curious about who am I?, lets take a look of this link ABOUT ME
Javier Ricardo Mejia Sarmiento